This classic concoction is the Italian version of the meat-lovers’ pizza. To maintain classic status, be sure to use ripe tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and the best charcuterie available
A pizza that’s ready to eat fresh out of the oven?
We’ve seen people invent some pretty creative ways of cooling off their pizza enough to eat – lifting the cheese to blow underneath, ripping the curst off first and the “bite and breath method” (take a bite, then try to blow it inside your mouth). But what if your next slice of delicious, authentic Italian pizza was ready to eat fresh out of the oven? The “serve immediately” part of our recipe, along with the “Prosciutto” ingredient, are just two of many reasons that we love a fresh pizza capricciosa.
The Capricciosa isn’t just your corner-shop pizza; it’s a blend of some of Italy’s most iconic toppings. Naturally, this means that favorite meats and fresh, ripe vegetables are complimented by the right touch of herbs and spices for a culinary masterpiece. However, we’re going to take our pizza capricciosa one step further by adding slices of the Italian favorite prosciutto.
What’s so great about prosciutto? While it may look similar to the generic slices of ham surrounding it on the grocer’s shelf, prosciutto is actually in a class of its own. It’s both prepared and cooked a little differently, locking in a certain flavor and even texture not found in other selections of ham.
Prosciutto also blends perfectly with our crispy, traditional-style base. The base is easy to prepare and largely ready to go out of the box. It’s also easy to customize with a few of your own favorite ingredients.
Of course, we all know that recipes are meant to be customized. However, we urge you to give this pizza capricciosa recipe a try all on its own. Even if you’re not particularly fond of a few ingredients listed here (such as mushrooms or prosciutto), you just might be surprised by how well they blend together in the right proportions. Besides, our unique recipe ensures an authentic Italian experience. Have fun!
- 1 x 30-cm (12-in) Crispy pizza base
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 350g (12oz) mixed ripe tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 50g (2oz) pepperoni slices
- 50g (2oz) salami slices
- 100g (31/2oz) chestnut mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 50g (2oz) prosciutto slices
- 50g (2oz) black olives
- 150g (5oz) mozzarella, sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the pizza base so it is ready to be topped. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/ Gas mark 7.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and place in a sieve over a bowl. Press the tomatoes firmly with the back of a spoon to release as much liquid as possible. Sprinkle with salt (and a pinch of sugar if the tomatoes aren’t very sweet) and leave to drain for a further 10 minutes.
- Spoon the tomatoes over the base, leaving about 1-2-cm (1/2-1/4-in) uncovered around the edge, and sprinkle with crushed garlic. Top with the remaining ingredients and season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the crust is golden. Serve immediately.