This is a classic pizza, where mushrooms are truly given the chance to shine. Speaking of mushrooms, don’t feel obliged to stick to the ordinary variety. If your tomatoes lack lustre, follow the Tip below.
- 1 x 30-cm (12-in) Crispy pizza base
- 4-5 mixed ripe tomatoes (about 500g/ llb 2oz), blanched, peeled, deseeded and chopped (see Tip)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 120g (4oz) chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
- 10-15 fresh oregano leaves, roughly chopped
- 150g (5oz) mozzarella, sliced Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the pizza base so it is ready to be topped. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/ Gas mark 7.
- Place the prepared tomatoes in a sieve and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt. Allow to drain for 10 minutes, pushing firmly with the back of a spoon to release excess liquid. Spoon the tomatoes over the pizza base, leaving about 1-2-cm
- (1/2-3/4-in) uncovered around the edge. Top with mushrooms, oregano and slices of mozzarella. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook in the middle of the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, until the crust is golden and the cheese is bubbling.
- Serve immediately.
If ripe tomatoes aren’t available, use any of the tomato recipes featured in the Sauces chapter