A classic Italian pizza and sauce, curiously called Puttanesca, or “in the whore’s style”. Perhaps the dark, briny, hot nature of the traditional ingredients – capers, anchovies, black olives and chillies – hint at the origin. Whatever the explanation, it makes for a very fine pizza.
Puttanesca is a delight for the pizza and sauce lovers. The cherry tomato sauce used in it makes it an appetite enhancer in a unique way. The crispy nature of the Puttanesca is a unique feature which takes it above from others. The sweet cherry sauce on the pizza base creates an eye-catching image of it which attracts the people towards it. If you are a pizza lover then you must have to try it at home.
Let us put a glimpse on the recipe of this amazing edible. You need to use the 12 inches pizza base and sweet sherry tomato sauce in half quantity. You also need to prepare 8 anchovy fillets along with 10 drained kalamata olives. Olives are the best part of this pizza as they make it look perfect. Peperoncini and capers are also used with the quantity of one and two tablespoons respectively. The chopped flat-leaf parsley and grated Parmesan cheese are also used in the quantity of two and three tablespoons respectively. Just imagine the perfect combination of all of these ingredients!
The first step in making this pizza is to prepare the pizza base, for getting it ready for the topping, by heating it at 220-degree centigrade. Now, you need to spoon the sauce on the top of the base leaving half or quarter inches area. The ends must be uncovered and then top the pizza base with anchovy fillets, olives, pepperoncini, and capers. The next step is to put it in the preheated oven for the cooking purpose for 10-12 minutes. You need to cook it until the cheese gets bubbling. The finishing must be done with the glistening Parsley and olives after taking it out from the oven. The Crust must be golden as it enhances the appetite of the viewers. If Italian red and sweet chillies, pepperoncini, are not available then you can use simple red chillies.
The crispy and delighted pizza Puttanesca is ready to serve with an amazing and striking look.
- 1 x 30-cm (12-in) Crispy pizza base
- 1/2 quantity Sweet cherry tomato sauce
- 8 anchovy fillets in oil, drained 10 kalamata olives
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1 tsp finely chopped peperoncini
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Prepare the pizza base so it is ready to be topped. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/ Gas mark 7.
- Spoon the sauce over the pizza base leaving about 1-2-cm (1/2-1/4-in)
- uncovered around the edge. Top with anchovies, olives, capers, peperoncini and Parmesan. Cook in the middle of the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, until crust is golden and cheese is bubbling. Remove from the oven and finish with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of parsley. Serve immediately.
Peperoncini are small red, slightly sweet Italian chillies. If not available, use any type of red chilli