We’ve discussed at length how tasty and versatile our popular crispy pizza base recipe is, but perhaps one of its best and most unique uses comes as the base for our pizza bread recipe! Pizza bread is a pretty unique treat that’s great as both for both meals and parties. Both the ingredients and steps are a little different from the typical pizza recipe, but it’s still pretty easy to prepare overall.
To offer an authentic artisan bread flavour, we’re going to be adorning our crispy base with a variety of favourite Italian herbs and spices. We’re talking garlic, thyme, chilli, capers, rosemary and freshly ground black pepper. They’ll be blended with the dough using, of course, olive oil. This may very well be the single best pizza recipe to achieve an authentic taste of Italy!
We’ll then recommend topping it off a touch of pesto. Although pesto has been around for a while, it’s recently started gaining popularity as a pizza recipe. While it may not bet the main event, it certainly does add a little extra flavour. If you’re not sure about pesto, we offer a few tasty recipes on pages 180-183. It also offers another opportunity for a little creativity!
While we won’t pretend that it’s necessarily low on calories, the pizza bread recipe certainly has room for plenty of nutrition. This makes them especially great for kids birthday parties: serve for the nutrition, then let them burn off the calories as they run around and play!
After only 20 minutes of prep and another 10 for baking, your pizza bread will be ready to serve immediately. Given that the prep process is essentially combining a few ingredients, this is easily among our fastest pizza recipes to prepare – and you’ll be getting 4 pizza bread out of each batch.
Makes 4 breads
1 quantity Crispy pizza base dough
- Leaves from 2 rosemary stalks, finely chopped + 1 tsp sea salt + 1 clove garlic, crushed + 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + 2 tbsp capers, rinsed, drained and roughly chopped + 1 clove garlic, crushed + ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chilli oil + 1 tsp thyme leaves + 30g (1oz) finely grated Gruyere cheese
- Sea salt + freshly ground black pepper + 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + 100g (31/2oz) mozzarella, cubed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + 4 anchovy fillets + 1 clove garlic, all crushed together
- 2 tbsp pesto + 75g (23/4oz) mozzarella
- Make the Crispy pizza base dough up to the point where you have four individual dough balls. Shape each ball into 25-30-cm (10-12-in) rounds, prick evenly four to five times with a fork and transfer to a baking sheet and rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas mark 7. For all toppings suggestions, combine all the ingredients, except the cheese (if using), and brush over the whole pizza base using a pastry brush. Then sprinkle over the cheese, if using. Cook in the middle of the oven for 8-10 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Cut into wedges and serve immediately.