In recent years, we’ve seen honey-infused bread take off in popularity like wildfire. We’re seeing it in all types of broad, from sliced to crackers and even rolls. But, who thought that it would serve well in a pizza recipe?! We understand your doubts, but give it a chance: there’s a reason that our sweet honey pizza base recipe has gained so much popularity.
Since we’re building this from scratch, you’ll actually get to infuse your own honey into the crust. However, we strongly recommend runny huney; any other kind will likely prove too thick. But that’s not the only breakfast favourite in our sweet honey pizza base recipe; you’ll be adding some full-cream milk, an egg and even a touch of lemon as well. Already, you can see the full alteration of flavour, and we’re just getting started!
To really bring that flavour out, you will need to get started on your pizza base a little early. The recipe calls for allowing it to sit for about 1 ½ hours, and that’s after about 25 minutes of blending and kneading the ingredients. It also needs to be worked a bit after that for another 10 or so minutes.
Fortunately, baking time isn’t quite as bad as most pizza bases; it’s ready in about 10-12 minutes. Before baking, be sure to add your chosen sauces, toppings and cheese. Don’t worry, most pizza toppings complement the sweet honey pizza base recipe surprisingly well.
However, you may find that you don’t even need the toppings: our sweet honey pizza base recipe is full of flavour all on its own! So if you need some finger dishes for your next party, or want to try some new breadsticks with a twist, consider setting aside part of your batch to try on its own. After all, our pizza recipe is enough for two 12 inch pies, so you’ve got a little extra to work with.
Makes 2 x 30cm (12in) thick-crust bases or 4 x 30cm (12in) thin-crust bases
- 2 tsp dried granular yeast
- 125m1 (4fl oz) lukewarm water
- 175m1 (6f1 oz) lukewarm full-cream milk
- 175m1 (6fl oz) runny honey
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Finely grated zest of
- 1 lemon
- 8g (1/4oz) saffron powder (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 550-600g (1lb 4oz-1lb 5oz) plain flour
- Sprinkle the yeast into the water. Leave to dissolve for 5-10 minutes. Add the milk, honey, oil, egg, lemon zest and saffron (if using) to the yeast mixture and stir well. Sift the salt and flour into the wet mixture and mix to a dough, adding additional flour if necessary to form a ball. Transfer the mixture to a lightly floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Return the dough to a clean bowl and leave covered for about 11/2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Knock the dough back and divide into two or four, depending on the desired thickness of the base required, and shape into 25-30-cm (10-12-in) rounds. Leave the dough to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas mark 7. Add your toppings. Cook the pizzas in the middle of the oven for 1012 minutes for a thin base or 15-18 minutes for a thicker base or until lightly golden and crispy.