A healthy pizza? The idea probably sounds like an oxymoron. Yet, it is a very real thing, and the pizza crust recipe to make it happen is surprisingly easy. Even better, the recipe calls for tasty toppings – so no skimping out on flavour! If you’d like to learn a quick kids pizza recipe that actually offers nutritional value with the taste we’ve all grown to love, check out our minced bed, bacon mozzarella pizza recipe.
So how exactly did we manage a healthy kids pizza recipe? Oddly enough, it all starts with the meat. We’ve chosen the tastiest alternatives: turkey, chicken, lean beef and even bacon! We’ll be adding them as a freshly precooked mince. For a more authentic flavour, you may even want to choose turkey pepperoni!
The pizza crust recipe is another area of concern (and the foundation of any kids pizza recipe). Fortunately, the industry has taken note: there are actually a variety of pizza crust packs that already shave the fat while still maintaining flavour. Of course, our recipe also offers a few options for crafting your own. Even better, we’ll show you how to prepare a crispy or thick-crust base.
We’ll then add a layer of mozzarella cheese. We love mozzarella for its lower fat content and higher nutrient count when compared to cheddar cheese. We’ll actually be using a full block for our 12-inch pizza crust recipe.
After only 15 minutes of baking (or 12 minutes for the crispy crust) and a minute of cooling, your kid’s pizza recipe is ready to eat. Not a bad deal for a 12-inch pizza crust recipe, especially a healthier option! Granted, this still may not be the healthiest choice to eat every day, but when the craving does come around, it’s nice to know that there’s a healthier option that still packs plenty of flavour. Enjoy!
- 1 x 30-cm (12-in) Crispy pizza base (see page 36) or 1 Thick-crust pizza base
- 200g (7oz) lean beef, chicken or turkey mince
- 200m1 (7fl oz) Hidden vegetable tomato sauce for kids
- 3 slices bacon, cooked
- 100g (31/2oz) block mozzarella, grated
- Prepare the pizza base so it is ready to be topped. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/ Gas mark 7.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add the mince and cook. When the meat begins to cook, break it up
- with a wooden spoon. Once cooked, drain off any excess fat. Set aside.
- Spoon the sauce over the base leaving a 1cm (1/2in) border around the edge. Add the mince. Break the cooked bacon over the pizza. Finish with the grated mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the middle of the oven — 10-12 minutes for a crispy base, 12-15 for a thick crust — until the crust is golden and the cheese is bubbling. Allow to cool slightly, slice and serve immediately.