Everyone loves pizza as a meal, but what if it could be a convenient snack? Sure, we have pizza flavoured chips, pretzels and the like, but none of them matches the authentic flavour of a freshly prepared pizza. This is where a new kids pizza recipe comes in: pizza fingers! Whether you’re looking for a quick recipe on the go or the perfect party pizza for easy consumption, our party pizza finger recipe is sure to do the trick. We’ll also review a few of the best-kept secrets that are often ignored when preparing pizza.
For this kids pizza recipe, we’re going to use a Focaccia pizza dough as our base. Never heard of it? Focaccia dough is kind of the best-kept secret among pizza recipes. It’s easy to prepare, offers excellent flavour and is easier to section off into the fingers that we’ll be preparing. We’ll also add a brush of butter for that perfect finish.
We’re also going to be adding a few herbs and spices to enhance the flavour of our party pizza (and add a little more nutritional value). We’re talking thyme, chilli oil, oregano, basil oil and even a little sea salt. In other words, all of the ingredients designed to blend well with pizza that is often ignored.
Of course, any kids pizza recipe is incomplete without the gooey flavour of the cheese. With our pizza fingers, we’ll be using both grated cheddar and finely grated gruyere cheese. That way, we’re adding a unique twist to our pizza fingers while helping kids learn a little culture.
When ready (after only 15 minutes of baking), our party pizza recipe will offer about 12 pizza fingers. Of course, for larger parties, just bake a couple at a time! It’s the perfect kid’s pizza recipe when children need the snack while running around having a good time. For a little extra flavour, you may even want to drizzle them with a little extra virgin olive oil after baking. Enjoy!
- 1/2 quantity Focaccia pizza base dough
- Extra virgin olive oil (optional) Suggested toppings
- 50g (2oz) pepperoni, finely sliced, 30g (1oz) Gruyere cheese and 1 tsp dried oregano
- Brush with 1 tbsp Pesto (see pages 180-83) combined with 1 tbsp olive oil and top with 30g (loz) Gruyere cheese
- Brush with 1 tbsp chilli oil and top with 30g (loz) finely grated Gruyere cheese and 1 tsp thyme leaves
- Spread with 2 tbsp Quick classic tomato sauce (see page 188) and top with 30g (1 oz) grated Cheddar cheese
- Brush with 1 tbsp basil oil and sprinkle over sea salt
- Brush with 2 tbsp melted butter and chopped herbs of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas mark 7. Prepare the Focaccia pizza base dough so it is ready to be shaped. Shape the dough into ovals about 30cm (12in) long and 20cm (8in) wide and place on a lightly floured baking sheet. Make cuts right through the dough, about 2cm (1 in) apart, but so they are still attached at the ends, and leave to rest, covered, for 10-15 minutes.
- Cover the surface of the dough with your selected toppings and cook for 14-16 minutes or until golden and crispy. Serve straight from the oven, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil, if liked, and broken into individual fingers.