What better way to get kids to eat their vegetables than by hiding it one of their favourite treats: pizza? That’s why the sausage-spinach recipe is a favourite among kids pizza recipes: growing children get the nutrition they need in a flavour they’ll love. Even better for parents, the sausage-spinach pizza recipe is one of the easiest dishes to prepare.
What kid doesn’t love meat? Sausage is a core component of this recipe for that reason, but you’re free to choose whichever selection of sausage best meets your (or your child’s) fancy. For a little extra flavour, try a blend of 2-3 sausages.
We’ll top it off with a layer of mozzarella cheese slices just under the meat. After all, it’s a slightly healthier choice than cheddar and still packs plenty of flavours. And since we’re looking for that special balance between fun and healthy, why not choose a more calcium-rich and less fattening topping?
Finally, it’s all prepared atop a zesty tomato sauce and crisp, golden crust. It’s hard to beat a classic, and this traditional combination packs flavour while adding a few nutrients of its own.
So why use tomato sauce rather than the ever-popular spinach sauce? Because in this recipe, we’re taking a more direct approach: baby spinach. That’s right, we’re baking everyone’s favourite leafy greens directly into the pizza. How’s that for a top choice among kids pizza recipes? Plus, the more familiar we keep the rest of the pizza, the less likely they are to notice this recipe’s healthier addition.
Tucked between these layers of mozzarella cheese, sausage and tomato sauce is the perfect plot for a more nutrient-rich selection for your children. And there you have it: the perfect kids pizza recipe, one that blends enough flavour to keep them happy with enough nutrition to keep them growing.
Ingredients - Make 1 pizza
- 1 x 30-cm (12-in) Crispy pizza base ( see recipe for Dough )
- 125ml (4fl oz) Hidden vegetable tomato sauce for kids
- 2-3 sausages of choice (about 200g/7oz)
- 200g (7oz) baby spinach leaves, blanched and well drained
- 150g (5oz) mozzarella, sliced
- Prepare the pizza base so it is ready to be topped. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/ Gas mark 7.
- Evenly spread the sauce over the base, leaving a 1-2-cm (1/2-1/4-in) border around the edge. Squeeze the sausagemeat from the casings and evenly scatter over the sauce in small teaspoon‑
- sized amounts. Scatter over the cooked spinach leaves and mozzarella slices.
- Cook in the middle of the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until crispy and golden. Serve immediately.