When you do not wish anything to come between you and your love for mozzarella, Margherita is the right choice. With no topping meddling in your illicit affair with cheese, you just can’t get enough of it.
- 1 12-inch round of pizza dough, stretched
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce (see note)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ¾ ounces fresh mozzarella
- 4 to 5 basil leaves, roughly torn
- Place a pizza stone or tiles on the middle rack of your oven and turn heat to its highest setting. Let it heat for at least an hour.
- Put the sauce in the centre of the stretched dough and use the back of a spoon to spread it evenly across the surface, stopping approximately 1/2 inch from the edges.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the pie. Break the cheese into large pieces and place these gently on the sauce. Scatter basil leaves over the top.
- Using a pizza peel, pick up the pie and slide it onto the heated stone or tiles in the oven. Bake until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbling approximately 4 to 8 minutes.