It’s a scary thing to hear from your doctor: you’ve become sensitive to gluten. Typically, we think there are only two choices left: give up the foods we love, or live with the discomfort for life (at best). But it doesn’t have to be that way. There are actually many delicious gluten free meals, and our gluten free quick pizza recipe is one of them! That’s right: even if you’re sensitive to gluten, you can still enjoy pizza!
And don’t worry: this pizza recipe isn’t like the bland, tasteless alternatives often shoved into gluten-free menus. It’s a real, delicious gluten free quick pizza base that keeps all of the good stuff in (including flavor) without the bad. Just give it a try!
To start, we’ll only be using 5 ingredients to prepare two 12 inch pizza bases. We offer a couple of flour options based on your personal preference. We also include plain yogurt to still get that authentic dairy flavor without the milk. Top it off with some bicarbonate of soda, then add a dab of caster sugar and salt. That’s it! And yet, the results of this simple gluten free quick pizza base recipe are pretty impressive.
If need a few suggestions for gluten-free toppings, we recommend browsing some of the other pizza recipe selections you’ll find. We offer tasty alternatives to fattening toppings, many of which are also gluten free.
To test it out, we recommend keeping it a secret that you’re using a completely gluten-free crust. Serve your pizzas to the family, then see if they notice any differences. Chances are, they’ll be just as delighted with your gluten free base as they would with any other homemade pizza. The ingredients are a little healthier for them, perfect for you and won’t sacrifice flavor along the way. Enjoy!
Makes 2 x 30cm (12in) thin crusts 1
- 75g (6oz) brown or white rice flour
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 225ml (8fl oz) plain yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 6.
- Combine the flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a large bowl. Add the yogurt and stir until roughly combined. Turn the dough on to a floured surface and knead for 1 minute, or until it comes together into a smooth ball. Form into two balls with your hands and transfer to a lightly floured surface. Flour a rolling pin and roll the dough to about 1cm (1/2 in) thick and 25cm (10in) in diameter
- Place onto a lightly floured baking sheet and top as required. Cook in the middle of the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until cooked and golden.